The 6 best low-key first date ideas
By Blaine Anderson
Last updated Nov 24, 2022
5 minute read
A date doesn't have to be fancy to be good!
Early in a relationship, fancy or expensive dates can actually be a turn-off.
So you nail the plan, let's check out my favorite low-key date ideas:
Now without further ado, the 6 best low-key date ideas are...
1. Picnic at the park
As long as the weather is pleasant, a picnic at the park is the perfect low-key date!
It requires a little advance planning, but nothing crazy. You just need 3 things:
- 🧀 Something to eat. Pack cheese + crackers + fruit, or make sandwiches.
- 🍷 Something to drink. Bring a bottle of wine (and don't forget an opener!) or a couple of canned drinks.
- 🪑 Something to sit on. Pack a blanket, or even lightweight foldable lawn chairs.
Want to really nail your picnic date?
Bring a deck of cards or your favorite two-player board game, and teach her to play!
If you need inspiration, I'm a huge fan of Gin Rummy, plus it's easy to learn and teach.
2. Make pizzas
Hosting your crush at your place to make pizzas is an awesome low-key date.
Ladies love a man who can cook, interactive dates are always fun, and pizzas are easier to pull off than you might realize.
All you need is:
- 🥟 Pizza dough. You can get dough from most grocery stores, or if you're a connoisseur, many pizza shops will actually sell you some too.
- 🥫🧀 Toppings. Grab sauce, cheese, veggies, and anything else you want at the grocery store.
- 🪨 A surface to bake your pies on. Pick up a pizza stone on Amazon, or if you have a BBQ, use that (yes, you can grill a pizza!)
For bonus points, arrange your ingredients aesthetically in little stations. She'll be impressed by your attention to detail.
One last note here: since you'd presumably be inviting her to your home for this one, making pizzas tends to be a better second date than first.
3. Go to a farmers’ market
It's not too good to be true. You can make a date out of shopping for your groceries!
Farmers' markets make for excellent low-key dates because:
- 😎 They're casual. No one has to worry about getting dressed up for the farmers' market.
- 😅 They're non-awkward. There's loads of visual stimulation, and silences are less awkward when you're walking around outside.
- 😋 There's something for everyone. No matter your dietary restrictions, you'll probably find dozens of opportunities to nibble on yummy food.
Plus, who doesn't love an opportunity to sneak some steps in?
The best part is, you don't have to be a farmers' market regular to pull this date off.
Just Google to find a farmers' market near you, make sure the weather forecast looks OK, and ask your crush if she wants to check it out with you!
4. Grab drinks at a dive bar
You don't need me to tell you that a bar is always an option for a date.
However, if you feel self-conscious about planning a date at your favorite local grungy dive bar, don't!
- 🙅♀️ Your goal on a date isn't to impress anyone. This is especially true early in a relationship. If a woman senses you're trying to impress her, it's a turn-off.
- 💁♀️ You just want to get to know the woman you're out with. This is easier in a relaxed environment, where you feel comfortable, like your favorite dive.
As long as some aspect of the bar is special to you (e.g. they serve an unusually good martini, or you love Pop-A-Shot and they have a machine), it's a great place for a date!
5. Plan a mellow bike ride
You don't need to be a serious cyclist to enjoy a bike date.
You don't even need to own a bike! Renting bikes can be the perfect activity for a low-key afternoon with your crush.
If you're not sure what to do, either:
- 📍 Bike to a destination. Is there a restaurant you've wanted to try, or a specific view you've wanted to check out?
- 🌉 Bike along a scenic route. For example when I lived in San Francisco, I went on an amazing bike date across the Golden Gate Bridge.
6. Juice or coffee, and a scenic walk
I know a walk might not seem like it qualifies as a date, but hear me out...
A walk can actually be a perfect low-key date, precisely because it's so simple. You can focus 100% on getting to know the woman you're out with.
Just do two things:
- 🤩 Choose a scenic route. A lap around the block sounds boring. Instead, meet at your favorite park, or do a tour of a historic neighborhood that you know well that she's not explored.
- 😋 Grab a treat on the way. For example, you could get coffee or juice when you embark, or you could stop for dessert or french fries along the walk, or both!
As long as you do something to make the walk feel special, it can be a great low-key date.
Wrap up & next steps
Now that you know the best low-key dates...
Want my help landing a girlfriend to take on them?!
Three ideas for you 👇
Idea #1: Follow me on Instagram
I share dating tips and silly content about my personal life on my Instagram every single day.
Idea #2: Unlock my FREE guides
I'd love to share my best FREE dating guides with you:
- 📲 What I Swipe Right On (how to improve your matches on apps like Hinge fast)
- 💬 Master The Message (how to create more chemistry via text)
- 🏀 How To Bounce Back (dating 101 for newly single guys)
- 😅 You're Nice, But... (dating 101 for "nice" guys)
Just tell me where to send them here!
I’ll share my free guides, plus a couple tips a month. 100% privacy, no spam or b.s.